Summer weather and outdoor activities put us into contact with all kinds of creatures…including bees! Unless you have a severe allergy, most stings can be treated safely at home. Here’s what to do if you or a loved one is stung by a bee or wasp.
-Apply a cool compress or ice pack
-If stinger is visible, remove by scraping with a clean fingernail or credit card- squeezing with tweezers can release more venom
-Try over the counter acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain
-If the sting is itchy, or the area becomes large and painful, a dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or over the counter allergy medication like Zyrtec/Claritin may help
If you notice trouble breathing, vomiting, throat tightness, lip or tongue swelling or if you develop a widespread rash, seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY.
Picture credit: Google images (labeled free for use/resuse)